On Monday, it was revealed by Forbes that tennis star, Serena Williams has emerged the highest paid female athlete in the world topping Maria Sharapova who was the previous holder of that title.
Serena raked in $28.9 million in prize money and endorsements over the last one year. The world No. 1 won three Grand Slams in 2015, reached the final of the year’s first two Slam events and added a major endorsement deal with Chase.
Serena, who is the younger sister of Venus Williams, also recently emerged the cover star of the July issue of Glamour magazine. Decked in a white Wolford bodysuit paired with an off-white Virgil Abloh jacket, the 34-year-old star showed off her killer physique as she struck lovely poses for the for the cover shot.
Sharapova who formerly the world’s highest paid female athlete lost lucrative endorsement deals with Nike, American Express, Porsche and TAG Heuer due to her recent doping scandal. She pulled in $21.9 million, down nearly $8 million from last year.
See the full list of top female earners in athletics below:
1. Serena Williams – $28.9 million
2. Maria Sharapova – $21.9 million
3. Ronda Rousey – $14 million
4. Danica Patrick – $13.9 million
5. Agnieszka Radwanska – $10.2 million.
6. Caroline Wozniacki – $8 million
7. Garbine Muguruza- $7.6 million
8. Ana Ivanovic- $7.4 million
9. Victoria Azarenka – $6.6 million
10. Eugenie Bouchard- $6.2 million