- 1. Nicholas Ibekwe is a Nigerian born in the dilapidated area of Maroko in Lagos although he is of Orlu Origin.
2. Nicholas was born into a family of eleven children and he is the ninth. The nature of his family, the number of his siblings and competing for his parents attention with ten other siblings has overtime had a profound effect on his personality, making him very competitive.
3. He obtained his first degree in English language from the Lagos State University, Ojo.
4. Journalism started as a career for him in 2008 with NEXT Newspapers.
5. Nicholas has won several awards and recognitions in investigative reporting. Some of which includes: The 2009 online category of the Wole Soyinka Award for Investigative Reporters, which he won with the story on the proliferation of hired armies in the troubled Niger-Delta Region of Nigeria. He was also commended in the Prestigious MultiChoice/CNN African Journalists of the Year Award in the same year. In 2010, he emerged runner-up in the Wole Soyinka Award for Investigative Reporters. He was also a finalist in the biggest award for investigative reporters in Africa- The Fair (Forum for African Investigative Reporters) Awards in 2010 and 2011.
6. Nicholas is a 2011/2012 Chevening Scholar. He presently studies MA International Journalism at City University, London.
7. Nicholas is passionate about investigative reporting and revealing the excesses of government officials, organisations and individuals. He is also an all-rounded reporter who had worked as a court reporter, written sports stories and an excellent reviewer and feature writer.
8. He is a ‘Street Poet” with many poems and an avid lover of Hip Hop music.
9. Nicholas Ibekwe is a Senior Reporter at Premium Times and also works as a Freelance Broadcast Reporter for the Voice of America (VOA).
10. Nicholas likes to describe himself in three words; Relentless, Resourceful and Versatile!