- Nigeria lost one of its rapper to a fatal road accident and we want to do a lecture on him so those that dont know him will have a first class knowledge on him………….DaGrin was born Oladapo Olaitan Olanipekun (25/10/1987 -22/04/2010). Mr. Olaitan Olanipekun stage name is DaGrin. He also goes by other aliases such as Original Omoita, DaGrin Lomo Na, Lyrican Trouble, Fimilejo, Omo Onile, Solder Boy, Lyrical Wayray, Molenubi, Misofuyin, Omo Ogun, Akogun, Barack O’Grin, Chief Executive Omoita and other.
DaGrin went Rosemary Nursery and Primary School and Good Shepherd Nursery and Primary School before attaining his secondary school education at the Community High School, Egbado College. Mr. Olaitan’s attempts to gain admission to Nigeria’s tertiary institutions hit the rock due to financial and family issues. He did however study in a computer institution somewhere around Lagos State. He later decided to invest his time and effort in music since he loves doing music and writing lyrics with great passion.
He was born to a polygamous family; life was never rosy for Olaitan. Olaitan’s mother was the second of his father’s three wives.
DaGrin was a recording artiste, songwriter, rapper and performer. Like any other artiste, the start was rough for DaGrin. Olaitan’s first album titled “Still On the matter” came and went without much impact in the music industry. He was never deterred by the ratings of his first album; he was determined to make a lasting footprint in the music industry. He went back to the studio and re engineer is God given talents. The result of his hard work and persistence was his sophomore album titled “Chief Executive Omoita (C.E.O) and surely, it was a party banger. He was signed to his own label Missofunyin Entertainment and managed by Edlyne Records.
His imprint Mi So Fu Yin Entertainment was gradually taking shape; Dagrin had a performance in and out of Lagos every other week. Everybody wanted him on their album, mixtape, single… it didn’t matter; everybody just wanted a piece of Dagrin.
Just two days before the horrific accident that took away his life occurred; Dagrin was putting together his last song, Show Me the Money, for Lineo ‘Elepepe Master’. On April 14th, just a few hours before the accident, Dagrin paid a visit to the Hip Hop World office in Ikeja. The awards were drawing closer and with three nominations to his name, the hustler’s dream was finally coming true.
Collaboration and Duet
During his brief presence in Nigeria’s music industry, DaGrin featured dozens of musicians including Kenny Saint Brown, 9ice, Oluwe, YQ Isolate and others within is short presence in Nigeria Hip-Pop scene. Dagrin is a three-time hip-pop awards nominee; he was nominated in the Album of the Year, Artist of the Year and Best Rap Album categories of the 2010 Hip-Hop World Awards.
1. “You know what it is, you knew what it was baby.”
2. ‘I just realized that I’m married to this game… and me and my b*tches never break up…’
3. God is my creator; Fela is my mentor. Money does not drive me; money is my conductor.
4. Ta Won eyan bari mi ni street, won pe mi lomo buruku.
36hype and fans Miss you boss Man :(