Arsenal finally European champions… for matchday revenue
Arsenal team (L-R back row), Arsenal’s Spanish defender Hector Bellerin, Arsenal’s German defender Shkodran Mustafi, Arsenal’s Colombian goalkeeper David Ospina, Arsenal’s French defender Laurent Koscielny and Arsenal’s Nigerian striker Alex Iwobi, (L-R front row) Arsenal’s Chilean striker Alexis Sanchez, Arsenal’s Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka, Arsenal’s English midfielder Theo Walcott, Arsenal’s Spanish midfielder Santi Cazorla, Arsenal’s Spanish defender Nacho Monreal and Arsenal’s German midfielder Mesut Ozil line up ahead of the UEFA Champions League Group A football match between Arsenal and FC Basel at The Emirates Stadium in London on September 28, 2016
Arsenal have never won the European Champions League but they reign over the continent when it comes to matchday revenue, with takings at their Emirates Stadium greater than anywhere else in Europe.
Their 60,000-capacity ground in north London, opened in 2006, generated 132 million euros (£116 million, $148 million) in the 2014-15 season from ticket sales and fan spending, according to a study by Deloitte.
That is the equivalent of 30 percent of their total annual income and puts them just ahead of Real Madrid’s Santiago Bernabeu, with its capacity of over 80,000, which generated 129.8 million euros in the same season.
Of the 10 most profitable stadiums in terms of matchday revenue, five are in the English Premier League, two in Spain, two in Germany and one in France.
The 10 most profitable stadiums in Europe (based on matchday revenue in 2014-15 season, according to Deloitte study)
1. Emirates Stadium (Arsenal): 132 million euros
2. Santiago Bernabeu (Real Madrid): 129.8
3. Camp Nou (Barcelona): 116.9
4. Old Trafford (Manchester United): 114
5. Stamford Bridge (Chelsea): 93.1
6. Allianz Arena (Bayern Munich): 89.8
7. Parc des Princes (Paris Saint-Germain): 78
8. Anfield (Liverpool): 75
9. Etihad Stadium (Manchester City): 57
10. Signal Iduna Park (Borussia Dortmund): 54.2http://36hype.com/arsenal-finally-european-champions-for-matchday-revenue/https://i2.wp.com/36hype.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/arsenal-957x598-2.jpg?fit=550%2C344https://i2.wp.com/36hype.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/arsenal-957x598-2.jpg?resize=150%2C150SPORTArsenal